Irish at Heart Artisan Tour and Workshop
with Jean Cauthen, Laura McRae-Hitchcock, and Pam Goode
Painting, Mosaic, Creative Writing
May 19 – 28, 2017
$2600, Double Occupancy; $3100, Single Occupancy
I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee,
And live alone in the bee loud glade. ~ William Butler Yeats
Join us for a tour along the wondrously wild Atlantic coast of Ireland as we visit the artisans inspired by this land of rugged natural beauty. We’ll also offer a wide range of classes in painting, mosaic, plein air work, and creative writing, as well as demos by local artists.
Our base will be Listowel in County Kerry, only eight miles from the sea and a thriving town filled with Irish charm, fabulous locally grown food, theatre, art, traditional pubs, scones to die for, parks and a lush riverwalk, castle ruins, and easy access to all parts of a country you can drive across in five hours.
Days will be spent in your choice of a variety of classes, plein air painting sessions, open studio, lecture/demos, and artist visits. Evenings will include a gourmet Irish cooking class, local music, local theatre, pub theatre featuring local writers (and insanely good Guinness), and local cuisine.
Excursions begin with the Cliffs of Moher, a half-day visit to one of the Aran Islands, and a ferry ride for a close-up and personal view of the cliffs and bird life from the water. A mid-week excursion will take us to the atmospheric Dingle Peninsula, with incredible coastline views from Slea Head Drive and visits to several of the local artisans who create here. Along the way we’ll have stops for painting and/or photography and shelling.
Group accommodations will be at Listowel Arms Hotel, Town Square. The hotel features double and single rooms with private bath, town or river views, restaurant, bar, sitting areas, and a delightful terrace on the river. The Arms is located one block from our studio space at Olive Stack Gallery; additionally some classes may be held at the hotel. One night may be at the Cliffs on Ballybunion Beach. Lodging for our Ballyvaughan overnight will be at a hotel similar to the Arms.
In addition to plein air painting in numerous locations around town and beyond, mosaic workshops and Open Studio will be held in the bright and spacious studio at Olive Stack Gallery. Other locations may include the Listowel Arms and personal artist studios. Transportation will be provided if necessary.
Workshop Options by Jean, Laura and Pam
All registrants will be able to participant in any and all workshops of their choosing, time permitting, regardless of medium or instructor. Workshops are still being added, but selections will include:
- Plein Air Painting (Multiple Options)
- Studio Painting
- Building a Pochade Box for Plein Air Painting
- Photograph Manipulation for Painting or Mosaic
- Working with Color
- Mosaic Landscapes
- Mosaic Techniques
- Encaustic Demonstration by Olive Stack
- Painting Demonstration by Jim Dunne
- Cooking Class
- Creative/Travel Writing for Journals
- Quick Sketch
- Travel Watercolor Journaling
- Pebble/Sea Glass Jewelry
- Open Studio
NOTE: Local participants are welcome to register for classes a la carte. Please contact Laura to be added to the mailing list when the schedule is finalized.
Tentative Schedule, Subject to Change
- Thursday, May 18: Depart for Ireland, Shannon Airport (SNN)
- Friday, May 19: Morning Shannon Arrival, group airport pickup at Noon, departure for Cliffs of Moher and overnight in Ballyvaughan
- Saturday, May 20: Ferry to and morning on Aran Islands, ferry beneath Cliffs of Moher, transfer to Listowel, hotel check-in and dinner (included)
- Sunday, May 21: Morning and Afternoon workshops of your choice, painting demo and talk by Jim Dunne, local painter and muralist, walking tour of Listowel with local historian, cooking class for half the group, others dinner at Listowel Arms (included)
- Monday, May 22: Morning and Afternoon workshops or plein air painting, Encaustic demo and talk by Olive Stack, local artist, cooking class for half the group, others dinner at Listowel Arms (included)
- Tuesday, May 23: Early Departure for Dingle Peninsula, tour, visit artisans, paint, photography, return to Listowel, dinner Listowel Arms (included)
- Wednesday, May 24: Morning and Afternoon workshops or plein air painting, local discovery excursions, BBQ with Olive Stack (included)
- Thursday, May 25: Morning and Afternoon workshops or plein air painting, local discovery excursions, dinner on your own, optional event at St. John’s Theatre
- Friday, May 26: Morning workshop or plein air painting, exhibition set-up, Gallery Exhibition and Reception for group, 6-9:00 Club with locals, Pub Theatre
- Saturday, May 27: Open Studio and interactive exercises, farewell lunch catered by Lizzie’s Little Kitchen (included), mid-afternoon departure for Shannon, tour of local ruins and local lore with Damian, dinner on your own, Park Inn Hotel (one-minute walk from Shannon Airport Check-In) (included)
- Sunday, May 28: Return Flights
Cost: $2600 Per Person, Double Occupancy; $3100 Per Person, Single Occupancy. DISCOUNTS: Payments by check or cash may deduct $75 from the final payment. $100 Discount for those not participating in any classes. $100 Discount for repeat students of Jean Cauthen, Laura McRae-Hitchcock, or Pam Goode. Maximum allowed discount is $175 from total price. Discounts do not apply to local à la carte students.
- Airport Transfer Both Ways on Dates Shown Only
- 9 Nights Lodging
- 4 Dinners, 1 Lunch, 9 Breakfasts
- All Excursions, Transportation, Admissions Listed
- All Artist Demos Listed
- Meals Not Listed Above
- Personal Purchases or Excursions
- Trip Insurance (Recommended)
To register or for more information, email Pam. The combined information/fine print/registration form includes payment information, travel insurance suggestions, deadlines, etc. Information on flights, accommodations, and a full list of workshops will be emailed to participants. Registrations will be accepted with 50% payment.
About the Instructors
Jean Cauthen grew up in Naples, Italy, New Orleans and the Carolinas, completing her education with an MFA (Painting and Drawing) at James Madison University in Virginia. Her art career has led her to Moscow, Russia as a set designer, and she regularly returns to Italy (sometimes with students). When not working plein air, she creates large scale paintings in her studio near Charlotte, NC. “My concentration is simple. No matter the subject, my focus is color against color. Shape with shape. Mark to mark. From this, and with care, expression and meaning can emerge.” www.jeancauthen.com
Laura McRae-Hitchcock has been painting for over 30 years. She is a partner artist and teacher with Ciel Gallery and recent Artist in Residence at Olive Stack Gallery in Listowel, Ireland. Additionally, she is a 2016 participant in the nationally celebrated ArtPop program and grant recipient from the Arts and Science Council. “I try to get to the heart of the matter….my heart, that is. I’ve given up trying to be perfect, and instead I focus on finding that space where my heart speaks with paint. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but wow, what a ride it is!” www.lauramcraehitchcock.com
Pam Goode is a mosaic artist, writer, founding partner at Ciel Gallery, and founder of Mosaic Art Retreats. An avid traveler, Pam is most inspired by being in unfamiliar surrounds where every sight, every thought, is new. “I see everything differently — feel everything differently — and the ability to communicate my own transformation though art thrills me.” A lifelong writer, Pam has been creating mosaics for sixteen years, working with a wide variety of materials. “My goal is to bring a sense of joy, wonder, or peace to viewers. I need to create a mosaic that sings, that resonates, that helps you remember who you are and where you want to go with vibrating clarity.” www.pamelagoodemosaics.com